Barnsley 1-1 Reading - 30-Dec-2017 : Match Report

30 December 2017
Ethan Pinnock resuces a point for Barnsley

Ethan Pinnock headed in a stoppage-time equaliser as Barnsley drew 1-1 at home to Reading.

The Royals had led through Yann Kermorgant's header - his first goal of the season.

The first half was a cagey affair as the side struggled to break each other down.

The first opportunity of the match fell to Reading full-back Chris Gunter. After a good passing move, Kermorgant set the Wales international free. He dribbled right of goalkeeper Adam Davies and forced him into a good save at his near post

Barnsley then broke from a corner. Tom Bradshaw was the provider as his tried to send through Gary Gardner. Twenty yards out with Liam Moore bearing down on him, he tried to chip Vito Mannone to no success.

Minutes later Mamadou Thiam had an even better opportunity. Gardner's well-placed pass sent him through and he tried to chip Mannone, however the Italian stood up tall to deflect his shot wide

On the half an hour-mark Mou Barrow nearly inadvertently gave the Royals the lead. He attempted a low cross which was deflected up and over Adam Davies, but the Tykes were relieved to see the ball shave the roof of the net as it sailed over.

After the restart the match burst into life.

First Gunter had a well-hit shot held by Davies immediately followed up by a Barnsley counter attack which saw Bradshaw's shot blocked. Then just inside the area Thiam took aim again with Mannone getting down well.

Not long later, Mannone was called into action again. Harvey Barnes made another wriggling run into the Royals' penalty area and put in a dangerous low cross. However, Mannone got down well again to smother the danger.

The former Arsenal shot-stopper had to be on his toes again. Thiam weaved his way into the box and his effort was deflected and fell to Bradshaw. Trying to round the keeper, his effort was again well saved by Mannone.

Reading finally snatched the lead in the 67th minute. Full-back Tyler Blackett broke down the left-hand side and sent in a brilliant looping cross for Kermorgant and the Frenchmen produced a powerful header from six yards.

Ten minutes from time Barnsley applied even more pressure on the Royals goal. A well-placed corner found substitute Lloyd Isgrove, but he could not get his head over the ball sending it over the bar.

However, in the 90th minute Barnsley grabbed an equaliser. A well-placed corner found Pinnock, who aimed a low powerful header of his own past Mannone.

The Tykes thought for a moment they had snatched all three points. After meeting a long ball, substitute Ike Ugbo headed over Mannone only to see his effort cleared off the line.

Source: PA