Barnsley F.C. Season Review 2012/13

Last updated : 12 May 2013 By Alastair Limb (tykesmad)

Another shocking month began at Oakwell, a month which saw the back of manager Keith Hill. 

The month began with a tough trip to Vicarage Road to face Gianfranco Zola's Watford. Two goals from Troy Deeney, and one each for winger Mark Yeates and a spotkick from Czech striker Matej Vydra gave the Hornets a 4-0 lead before Marcus Tudgay pulled a late goal back for Barnsley.

FT: Watford 4 (Deeney 10, 66, Yeates 59, Vydra pen 83) Barnsley 1 (Tudgay 90). Attendance: 11,335.

Another unforgiving away trip a week later could and should have been a lot better for the Reds. This time they travelled to the King Power Stadium to face Leicester. Anthony Knockaert gave the Foxes the lead but Stephen Dawson and Reuben Noble-Lazarus made sure the Reds went in at half time with the lead. But Red hearts were broken in the 90th minute when Jamie Vardy pulled the home side level.

FT: Leicester City 2 (Knockaert 9, Vardy 90) Barnsley 2 (Dawson 27, Noble-Lazarus 39) Attendance: 23,579.

The next game was the Sky live clash with South Yorkshire rivals Sheffield Wednesday. The game was decided by a controversial goal scored by Chris O'Grady, a man who will feature prominently in the second half of this season review. Gary Madine barged into Reds keeper Luke Steele and the ball fell to O'Grady who lashed home.

FT: Barnsley 0 Sheffield Wednesday 1 (O'Grady 38) Attendance: 12,484

A week later the Reds faced a trip to Bermondsey to play Millwall. Stephen Dawson hammered the Reds into an early lead before the home side lost Adam Smith to a red card. Former Barnsley loanee Chris Wood equalised for the Lions with ten minutes remaining, but Marcus Tudgay had the last laugh by tucking away a 94th minute winner to seal a win that gave manager Keith Hill a stay of execution.

FT: Millwall 1 (Wood 80) Barnsley 2 (Dawson 31, Tudgay 90) Attendance: 10,118.

Normal service was resumed on Boxing Day when Birmingham turned the Reds over at Oakwell. Curtis Davies gave the Blues the lead but Jonathan Greening responded for Barnsley almost immediately. Craig Davies then missed a second half penalty, blazing high into the Ponty End before Curtis Davies scored his second and Birmingham's winner to pile more misery on the Reds.

FT: Barnsley 1 (Greening 38) Birmingham City 2 (Davies 35, 77) Attendance: 9,191.

Bang out of form, the Reds then hosted Blackburn at Oakwell. Joshua King fired managerless Rovers into a 29 minute lead before Ruben Rochina heaped more pressure on Barnsley and Keith Hill. Stephen Dawson gave the Reds hope but a terrible error from Jim McNulty gifted Jordan Rhodes a goal to kill off the Reds.

FT: Barnsley 1 (Dawson 76) Blackburn 3 (King 29, Rochina 44, Rhodes 90) Attendance: 9,153.

This defeat was the final straw for the Barnsley board and they swiftly dispensed of the services of Hill after the game. David Flitcroft was asked to take charge of the team on New Years' Day against Peterborough United.

December League Record: Played 6; Won 1; Drawn 1; Lost 4; For 7; Against 13; GD -6; Points 4.

Overall League Record: Played 25; Won 5; Drawn 6; Lost 14; For 25; Against 41; GD -16; Points 21; Position: 24th.