Barnsley F.C. Season Review 2012/13

Last updated : 13 May 2013 By Alastair Limb (tykesmad)

Barnsley went into February with a bit more optimism, Flicker had brought them to within four points of safety and had changed the mood around the place.

However, two tough away games were coming up. First the Reds travelled to the seaside to face Blackpool. Jim O'Brien gave Barnsley the lead in the first half but Tom Ince replied for the Tangerines. But Flicker had the Reds scoring late goals, and today was no different when Jason Scotland popped up again to give the Reds all three points.

FT: Blackpool 1 (Ince 55) Barnsley 2 (O'Brien 25, Scotland 88) Attendance: 13,965.

Next up was a trip to Teesside to face Middlesbrough. O'Brien scored his second goal in as many games with a deflected shot. An extraordinary second half began when Mustapha Carayol equalised for Boro and Curtis Main gave them the lead with 25 minutes to play. Flitcroft threw on O'Grady and Scotland and they changed the game. The Reds equalised when Rory Delap's long throw caused chaos in the Boro area and Scott Golbourne stabbed home. Then, home keeper Jason Steele was penalised for picking up a backpass and Scotland lashed home the indirect free-kick for his third goal in his first three games.

FT: Middlesbrough 2 (Carayol 50, Main 62) Barnsley 3 (O'Brien 5, Golbourne 70, Scotland 76) Attendance: 15,034.

The fifth round of the FA Cup with Budweiser was Barnsley's next fixture, Stadium:MK the venue. Chris Dagnall fired the Reds into a very early lead before Marlon Harewood doubled the advantage. Dean Bowditch brought MK Dons back into the game but Dagnall killed the game off in stoppage time in the second half. Ex-Leeds and Man Utd midfielder Alan Smith saw red for the home side.

FT: MK Dons 1 (Bowditch 61) Barnsley 3 (Dagnall 3, 90, Harewood 19) Attendance: 14,475.

There was a great feeling around Oakwell after four consecutive wins in all competitions and that became five when relegation rivals Wolves came to Oakwell. It didn't start well when Bjorn Sigurdarson gave Wolves the lead after seven minutes. But second half strikes from Chris Dagnall and Jacob Mellis gave the Reds a vital three points. 

FT: Barnsley 2 (Dagnall 49, Mellis 76) Wolves 1 (Sigurdarson 7). Attendance: 10,972.

Unfortunately, the following Saturday the Reds were brought crashing back down to earth. A trip to Ashton Gate to face Bristol City usually means goals and today was no different. Jon Stead gave the home side the lead before Liam Fontaine doubled that lead. Stead added a third before ex-Red Lewin Nyatanga made it 4-0. Chris O'Grady scored his first Barnsley goal to stage a mini fightback but Steve Davies put the game beyond any doubt in the 67th minute. But two late strikes from Tomasz Cywka and Jason Scotland gave the scoreline a less embarrassing look.

FT: Bristol City 5 (Stead 16, 52, Fontaine 35, Nyatanga 55, Davies 67) Barnsley 3 (O'Grady 58, Cywka 82, Scotland 90) Attendance: 13,008.

February League Record: Played 4; Won 3; Drawn 0; Lost 1; For 10; Against 9; GD +1; Points 9.

Overall League Record: Played 33; Won 10; Drawn 7; Lost 16; For 41; Against 53; GD -12; Points 37. Position: 21st.