TykesMad Season Review: 2006-2007

Last updated : 25 June 2007 By Rob Miles (barnsley Boy)

A new season and back in the Championship after a 4 year absence. Fans were still euphoric from the previous season's epic Play-Off victory over Swansea when the team from the city The Reds won promotion in - Cardiff came to Oakwell for the opening game of the season.

New signings Sam Togwell and Michael McIndoe made their debuts whilst old boys Michael Chopra, and a hero of the Millennium Stadium, Stephen McPhail returned to face their old team-mates.

The first half was a rude introduction to the Championship as The Reds fell 2-0 behind after good finishes from Joe Ledley (19) and Stephen Thompson (22) showed Oakwell what quality The Championship had. A wonder goal from Brian Howard on 31 mins gave the Reds real hope. But despite a second half rally with Marc Richards hitting the bar, The Reds couldn't find an equaliser.

The 2nd fixture at Hull soon began to turn into another nightmare when ex Red reject Jon Parkin netted twice in the first 9minutes. Incredibly though The Reds fought back terrifically.

Michael McIndoe got the ball rolling with a goal in the first minute of stoppage time and Marc Richards had levelled the game within 2 minutes of the second half. Paul Hayes then tapped home a 3rd on 73 for an incredible first 3 points.

Thing got even better at the weekend when The Reds travelled to fellow new boys Colchester United and promptly fell behind again. Greg Halford (42) giving the U's a half-lead.

But once again Barnsley showed their bounce-back-ability. Richards headed in an equaliser on 57mins before another super strike from Howard on 78, made it 6pts from a possible 9.

Next up were promotion hopefuls Southampton at home and for the first time in the season Barnsley went 1-0 up. Richards continuing his fine form by netting with the last kick of the first half.

It didn't take Southampton long to draw level however with much coveted striker Grzegorz Rasiak heading home on 47.

Barnsley's hopes of a 3rd successive victory were boosted and then dented with 2 penalties in 3 minutes.

Firstly Paul Hayes did his now famous walk-up before stroking home but just 3 minutes later Southampton were awarded a spot-kick and Rasiak made no mistake. An entertaining game ended with a first draw of the season.

The league went on the back burner then as Barnsley travelled to the seaside to take on Blackpool in the League Cup First Round.

Robbie Williams converted a pen on 53 to put The Reds in front before Scott Vernon levelled on 70 to send the game into extra-time. It wasn't until the second period when the drama started.

Martin Devaney's strike four mins from the end looked to have sent Barnsley through into the 2nd Round but Vernon struck again a minute from time to take the game to pens.

And memories of that epic Play-Off Final were rekindled as Barnsley triumphed 4-2.

A league game at Norwich ended the month and ended it with a bang as the unbeaten run of 4 games in all competitions were torn apart by a rampant Canaries side as the 10 man Reds were thumped 5-1.

Antony Kay was sent off just 12mins in for giving away a pen which Robert Earnshaw converted.

Carl Robinson made it 2-0 on 27minutes but ex Norwich trainee Paul Hayes gave Barnsley hope by pulling the score back to 2-1 on 38

With Barnsley a man down though Norwich cantered through in the second half with further strikes from Croft (57), Huckerby (64) and Earnshaw (69) to leave Barnsley 13th after the first month.

Record 26/8/06

W:2 D:1 L:2 F:9 A:12 GD: -3 Points: 7 Pos: 13th

Barnsley 1-2 Cardiff Report

Barnsley 2-2 Southampton Report