TykesMad Season Review 2006-2007

Last updated : 25 June 2007 By Rob Miles (barnsley Boy)

After the mauling at Carrow Road, Reds fans will looking for a little comfort when Stoke City travelled to Oakwell for the first game of September and they were treated to another rollercoaster of a match.

Barnsley were behind inside 3 minutes when Clint Hill powered home after a Luke Chadwick corner was flicked on by Mamady Sidibe and were then 2-0 down when Chadwick himself scored on 23.

It all looked desperate until 2 goals in 3 minutes in the second half earned Barnsley an unlikely point.

Firstly on 73 minutes Tommy Wright grabbed a rare goal after a neat turn and finish, and 3 minutes later Paul Hayes prodded home.

And just 3 days later The Reds turned from being lucky not to lose, to being unlucky to lose as they squandered a 2-0 lead at Burnley to lose 4-2.

Two fine first strikes from Michael McIndoe on 21 and 32, put Barnsley in complete control but a combination of bad defending and bad referring turned the game completely on its head.

Jon Harley gave Burnley hope on 42 as he lashed home past Nick Colgan and in the second half Burnley pushed on.

Gifton Noel-Williams stole the show with a hat trick on 57,83 and 90 to leave Barnsley winless in 4 and still without that elusive clean sheet.

Both were to change at the weekend when Reds legend Mick McCarthy brought his Wolves side to Oakwell.

Despite hunting promotion, Wolves looked a tame outfit and a solitary tap-in from Marc Richards after 16minutes was more than enough to seal 3 vital points.

Barnsley were in action again in midweek after the Wolves game in the second round of the Carling Cup.

And a much-weakened side were eliminated by League Two MK Dons.

Aaron Wilbraham put The Dons 1-0 up at Oakwell after 28minutes heading home a fine cross from Dean Lewington.

Barnsley drew level on 66 though with the inform McIndoe again on target. Taking down Dale Tonge's cross beautifully, he rifled home.

But the game looking like extra-time Wilbraham struck again after Tonge, Nicky Wroe and Neil Austin had all made a mess of clearing the ball.

Barnsley were back on league matters on the Friday night as the SKY cameras came to Deepdale for a clash with Preston North End.

It was certainly a night for goalkeeper Colgan to forget as he was given his marching order for deliberate handball after just 8minutes.

On-loan Arsenal stopper Vito Mannone came on for his league bow and handed Preston the only goal of the game after half an hour, as he punched Gareth Whalley's cross against Patrick Agyemang and into the net.

Despite dominating the second half, The Reds returned home pointless!

It got even worse for Mannone in the last game of the month at home to Luton Town.

The Italian had no chance with Luton's first when Carlos Edwards showed his skill at the beginning of the second half before firing home a cracking shot.

The Reds were level within seconds though as Howard was played in behind the Luton defence and kept his cool to fire home.

Luton though grabbed the winner with the last kick of the game after a real clanger from Mannone.

Lewis Emmanuel lofted in a cross which Mannone seemed to have comfortably. Horrifically though he dropped the ball over his head and Ahmet Brkovic couldn't believe his luck as he tapped into an empty net to give Luton the points and leave Mannone in tears.

September Record: W:1 D:1 L: 4

Record 30/9/06

W:3 D:2 L:5 F:15 A:21 GD: -6 Points: 11 Pos: 18th

Barnsley 2-2 Stoke City Report
Barnsley 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Barnsley 1-2 Luton Town