TykesMad Season Review 2006-2007

Last updated : 06 July 2007 By Rob Miles (barnsley Boy)

January 2007

The New Year started with caretaker Davey being handed the manager's job on a permanent basis… and a 2-0 defeat at promotion chasing Wolves.

The Reds managed to whether the first half storm which included Nick Colgan saving a penalty from Darren Potter but were undone on 52 minutes when Karl Henry fired home after racing on to an Olofinjana pass and were finally finished home when Olofinjana himself converted 12 minutes from time.

The magical FA Cup Third Round was next on the agenda with a trip to face fellow Championship strugglers Southend United.

The match at Roots Hall was a complete washout with the ball sticking in places. Southend looked to have booked that Fourth Round spot though when they took the lead on 58 minutes through bad defending.

The Barnsley wall jumped over a Freddy Eastwood free kick and Mark Gower tapped home.

Cue the emergence of a hero though.

With the clock showing 94 minutes, Sam Togwell's effort cannoned off Southend keeper Darryl Flahavan and despite accusations of handball Michael Coulson bundled it over the line for his first goal for the club.

Back to league matters and another defeat.

A drab home game with Preston North End was settled on 56 minutes when Liam Chilvers headed home a Paul McKenna corner amid abject home defending.

Barnsley sunk to arguably their lowest point of the season when Southend visited Oakwell for the FA Cup Replay. Paul Hayes was dropped as Davey claimed his mind wasn't on the game after Southend had bid for him earlier in the week and it seemed the rest of the team's minds weren't on it either as they slumped to a 2-0 defeat to end the cup dreams for another year.

Less than 5,000 saw Kevin Maher hit a 30 yard beauty on 22 minutes and veteran Lee Bradbury plunder a 2nd on 59. This was the cue for chants for Andy Ritchie and the gloom to descend on Oakwell yet again.

With cup aspirations ended for another year, the league form was left to be addressed and the team bounced back superbly to end the month with 2 victories.

A trip to fellow strugglers Luton Town was first with The Reds looking for a first away win since August!

Brian Howard settled jitters with a goal just 7 minutes in.

A great ball by Marc Richards released Howard and he confidently put The Reds in front.

To be honest Luton rarely threatened throughout the game and those much needed points were sealed by a great strike from Martin Devaney two minutes from time.

It looked like Devaney had miscontrolled a Howard pass but then hit a beauty into the corner! Vital win!

Next up in the week were another fellow struggler - Queens Park Rangers who came to Oakwell.

A very nervy first half was split right on the half time whistle.

Marc Richards stretching to meet Bobby Hassell's cross and send the teams into the dressing room with different things to ponder.

The second half was much the same. 1-0 is a dangerous lead but with the clock hitting 90 Brian Howard produced an incredible chip from 30 yards that stunned Rangers keeper Simon Royce and sent Oakwell wild!

They say that wins against the teams around you are the most vital and Barnsley had just beaten two of them!!

January Record: W:2 D:1 L: 3

Record 30/1/07

W:9 D:5 L:16 F:33 A:48 GD: -15 Points: 32 Pos: 19th

Barnsley 0-1 Preston North End Report

Barnsley 2-0 Queens Park Rangers Report