Covering Old Ground

Last updated : 01 May 2017 By Rob Miles (BarnsleyBoy)

This feature on TykesMad sees us go back in time and revisit the last time Barnsley played at various away grounds. The Reds visit Newcastle United in the final game of the 2016-2017 Sky Bet Championship season on Sunday and we are going to look back to the Reds' most recent visit to Tyneside as well as other memorable visits.

Saturday 6th March 2010

Newcastle 6-1 Barnsley

Lovenkrands pen 44,48

Guthrie 50, 69

Gutierrez 60

Nolan 71

                          Bogdanovic 83

Newcastle’s march to the Championship title and an immediate return to the Premier League continued with a thumping victory over ten man Barnsley.

The Reds went into the game in decent form themselves having won their previous two matches and were more than holding their own in their first league visit to St James’ Park since 1998 until goalkeeper Luke Steele was sent off three minutes before half-time for bringing down Toon striker Peter Lovenkrands in the area.

Creative midfielder Anderson de Silva was replaced by David Preece but the sub keeper’s first action was to pick Lovenkrands penalty out of the net and Newcastle went into the break ahead.

The second half then became one way traffic, Lovenkrands netted his second just three minutes after the break heading home a cross from Andy Carroll before he teed up Danny Guthrie to smash home from 25 yards with a shot that seemed to go under the dive of Preece.

Jonas Gutierrez curled a beauty past Preece that kissed the crossbar on its way in before celebrating by wearing a Spiderman mask and Guthrie netted a second when his free-kick eluded everybody and flew past Preece with fingers again pointing at the positioning of the 33 year old veteran.

Kevin Nolan added a six when a long ball forward saw him given too much space and the Toon captain coolly took the ball around Preece before slotting home.

Barnsley were gifted a goal to appease their large travelling support with seven minutes remaining after Mike Williamson’s attempted back header to Fabricio Coloccini was intercepted by Daniel Bogdanovic and he nipped past the Argentine defender to coolly finish past Steve Harper.

This was Newcastle’s 14th home win of the season and they would remain unbeaten at home for the entire season, comfortably winning the title with 102 points, 11 clear of second placed West Brom.

Defeat for Barnsley had left them in 11th place, comfortably inside the top half but they would win just once more in their remaining 12 games, losing five to finish 18th, seven points clear of the relegation zone.

Preece would play only once more that season- the following game, a 0-0 draw with Crystal Palace as Steele was suspended and it would be another 17 months before he made his final Reds appearance, in a 1-0 defeat to Southampton in August 2011. In total Preece played eight times for Barnsley, they won only twice and he conceded 17 goals.

Barnsley XI: Luke Steele (sent off 42), Bobby Hassell, Stephen Foster, Carl Dickinson, Ryan Shotton, Hugo Colace, Filipe Teixeira, Emil Hallfredsson, Anderson de Silva, Nathan Doyle, Andy Gray.

Subs: David Preece (for Anderson 42), Daniel Bogdanovic (for Gray 63), Jon Macken (for Hallfredsson 63)
Subs not used: Luke Potter, Darren Moore, Adam Hammill, Iain Hume.

Goals: Daniel Bogdanovic 83.

Attendance: 44,464.


Recent Meetings

Sunday 8th March 1998

Newcastle 3-1 Barnsley

Ketsbaia 16

Speed 27

                        Liddell 57

Batty 90

Premier League Barnsley had reached the FA Cup Quarter-Finals for the first time since 1984-1985 after dispatching of heavyweights Tottenham and Manchester United so far and knew victory at St James’ Park against a Newcastle side who were only four places above The Reds in the table would put them in the Semi-Finals for the first time since winning the competition back in 1912.

However this would prove a step too far as Ketsbaia put Newcastle in front when he was played in neatly on the edge of the area and drew keeper David Watson before slotting home. The Reds then faced an uphill task before half an hour was up as Warren Barton got behind the defence and although Watson made a good save from him the ball fell kindly to the late Gary Speed who slammed home the rebound.

The Toon wasted several other chances before Barnsley gave themselves a lifeline, the Newcastle defence failing to clear the ball and Martin Bullock crossed low for the onrushing Andy Liddell to curl beautifully past Shay Given and into the top corner just before the hour.

Adie Moses received two yellows card following two fouls on Alan Shearer and Barnsley’s chances seemed to go down the tunnel with him before right at the death Newcastle sealed their passage to the last four when David Batty raced onto the ball on the edge of the area and fired across Watson into the far corner.

Newcastle went on to beat Barnsley’s South Yorkshire rivals Sheffield United in the semi-finals before losing 2-0 to Arsenal in the final at Wembley.

Barnsley XI: David Watson, Nicky Eaden, Arjan De Zeeuw, Chris Morgan, Adie Moses (sent off 76), Darren Barnard, Neil Redfearn, Darren Sheridan, Andy Liddell, Clint Marcelle, Ashley Ward.

Subs: Martin Bullock (for Marcelle 50), Georgi Hristov (for De Zeeuw 55)
Subs not used: Lars Leese, Scott Jones, Eric Tinkler.

Goals: Andy Liddell 57.

Attendance: 36,695.

Recent record at Newcastle (last 10):