Reds Start In A Drawing Guise

Last updated : 12 July 2017 By Rob Miles (BarnsleyBoy)

Barnsley started off their preparations for the 2017-2018 campaign with an entertaining draw at Guiseley.

The fixture at Nethermoor was the club’s first proper outing after a behind closed doors fixture in Hungary last week which they lost 1-0.

Against their National League hosts, The Reds forged ahead after 17 minutes with Lloyd Isgrove marking his return to Oakwell with a fantastic solo effort that saw him beat four men before finding the top corner via a deflection.

Guiseley, who finished 20th in the fifth tier last season equalised after 34 minutes when one of TEN trialists in their matchday squad saw an effort deflect past Reds keeper Jack Walton following a corner.

Guiseley then forged ahead after 41 minutes when another trialist capitalised on a short back pass from Adam Jackson to round Walton and slot into an empty net.

Barnsley were level on 58 minutes when another new signing Zeki Fryers fired in a super effort from fully 30 yards but they fell behind again on 72 minutes as Reece Thompson back heeled into the net after an effort from a certain Kayode Odejayi came back off the crossbar.

Barnsley however ensured they would not start pre-season with defeat when another long-range rocket this time from 25 yards, from George Moncur ensured the spoils were shared.

Head coach Paul Heckingbottom made 10 substitutions during the course of the game ensuring 21 players got minutes under their belt.

Barnsley Team:

Jack Walton

Andy Yiadom

Zeki Fryers

Ethan Pinnock

Adam Jackson

Stevie Mallan

Lloyd Isgrove

Alex Mowatt

Sessi D’Almedia

Tom Bradshaw

Ryan Hedges


Adam Hammill (for Moncur)

George Moncur (for D’Almedia)

Angus MacDonald (for Yiadom)

Jason McCarthy (for Jackson)

Ben Williams (for Fryers)

Jacob Brown (for Mallan)

Jared Bird (for Mowatt)

Romal Parker (for Hedges)

Kayden Jackson (for Bradshaw)

Will Smith (for Pinnock)

Unused Substitutes:

Nick Townsend