Barnsley 2-0 Derby- Match Report

Derby stunned by Barnsley at Oakwell

Barnsley stunned promotion hopefuls Derby with 2-0 win at Oakwell.

An own goal from keeper Scott Carson and a header from Alfie Mawson were enough to earn the Tykes their first win after promotion back to the Sky Bet Championship.

Barnsley quickly settled to the task at hand, looking comfortable, countering Derby and allowing them to have the majority of the ball.

Tom Bradshaw momentarily got behind the defence but Cyrus Christie was across quickly to block the shot.

Barnsley took the lead in the 11th minute through an unfortunate own goal from Carson.

Ryan Kent picked up Aidy White's loose cross and dribbled inside the box before laying the ball off to Conor Hourihane whose first-time shot rebounded back off the post and struck the diving Carson with the ball crossing the line.

Derby created very few chances in the opening half, with Craig Bryson and Tom Ince coming to closest to levelling the scoring but both efforts were too high to trouble Adam Davies in the Tykes' goal.

Nigel Pearson brought Chris Martin off the bench at half-time to replace Darren Bent, but it was Barnsley who got the vital second goal almost immediately after the restart.

Bradshaw drew a free kick down the right just outside the area

The set piece was swung in by Hourihane and it was Mawson (47) who rose highest to head the ball underneath Carson.

Hourihane was at the centre of the action minutes later as his volley from 18 yards out forced a smart save from Carson who tipped over.

Derby pressed to get the third goal which would give them a chance of getting something out of the game.

First Ince had a free kick which struck the wall then substitute Martin saw his set piece effort dip over the bar.

The Tykes almost had the third when Liverpool loanee Kent rattled the woodwork after good build-up play from the home side.

Down the other end Ince tested Davies for the first time with a left-footed half volley but the keeper was able to tip the ball behind.

With 15 minutes to go, Hourihane again tested Carson, this time with a low shot to the keeper's left after the midfielder had cut inside from the right onto his favoured left foot.

Derby nearly got back into the game when first Craig Forsyth headed across goal and then minutes later substitute Johnny Russell side-stepped two defenders before striking at goal, forcing Davies at full stretch to palm the ball clear.

Barnsley, who had been solid at the back all afternoon, held firm in the final few minutes to manage the game and collect a much deserved three points.

Source : PA

Source: PA