Coca-Cola Championship Matchday Sixteen: Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 Barnsley

Last updated : 11 November 2007 By Rob Miles (barnsley Boy)

A woeful first half and a lineswoman's flag denied Barnsley a point which they probably would not have deserved at Molineux yesterday.

When the half-time whistle blew The Reds could count themselves very lucky they weren't at least 4 or 5-0 down.

Despite a four day rest, some players still seemed to be recovering from the two games in two days played last weekend and Wolves should have taken full advantage.

The only surprise about Wolves' 13th minute opener was that it did not open the floodgates for many more.

The goal stemmed from Barnsley's Achilles heel- defending set pieces.

Neill Collins was given the freedom of the Midlands as he ghosted above the static Stephen Foster and Lewin Nyatanga to bullet a header past Heinz Muller.

From then on, it was a case of Wolves wastefulness that stopped them from running up a cricket score.

Jay Bothroyd and Freddy Eastwood both went close before the miss of the season from the former Southend hitman.

Bothroyd's free kick was met again by Collins whose header came back off the post straight to the feet of Eastwood. Barely two yards out and dead centre to goal; he somehow managed to send the ball against the far post! An incredible miss and a real let-off for The Reds whose best "chance" came when Brian Howard broke away and as he slipped the ball to Istvan Ferenczi, the big man fell to the floor with the referee waving away the penalty appeals.

15 minutes and a hot chocolate later, Barnsley came out and looked a different side.

Martin Devaney started running things down first the left wing, and then after ex Wolves man Rohan Ricketts introduction for Jamal Campbell-Ryce, the right wing but it was Wolves who created the first chance and inform Muller had to be at his best to deny Eastwood, blocking with his legs and then gathering at the second attempt.

The Reds thought they had equalised on 71 minutes when for the third game in a row Howard's left-wing free kick was powered home by Ferenczi but lineswoman Amy Raynor raised her flag immediately to curtail any celebrations. From my vantage point and after TV replays it's still hard to say whether the Hungarian was on or offside but I suppose you win some and you lose some. Unfortunately we lost this one.

The equaliser so very nearly arrived four minutes later after a fantastic piece of football from Devaney. He skinned full-back Kevin Foley before cutting inside and curling a beauty towards the far corner. Agonisingly it curled just wide with Wales No.1 Wayne Hennessey beaten.

Onto the right wing and Devaney again tested the goal with a stinging drive that Hennessey did very well to hold on to.

Kayode Odejayi nearly pinched a point at the death in fluke circumstances. His running paid off as he charged down Hennessey's clearance but the ball flew over the bar. It summed up the afternoon and as the final whistle blew it was a case of what if for The Reds.

In the next three outings The Reds face Watford (h) who are on fire home and away, Sheffield Wednesday (a) The Reds have lost their last 10 at Hillsborough, and Ipswich (a) who are playing so well at home they would probably beat Barcelona there, before the return meeting with Wolves at Oakwell.

It is three games that are likely to test Simon Davey's new side to the limit and will probably give us a clear indication on how our season will pan out. One thing is for sure if our away form was as good as our home form, it would be a completely different story…..

Player Ratings:

Heinz Muller: Excellent stops kept the score down and ensured The Reds remained fighting to the final whistle. 8

Dominik Werling: Sorry Simon but Werling is far too small to be a full back. The long balls down the channel left him floundering. His inclusion was all the more surprising as Rob Kozluk was Man of the Match on Monday and yet wasn't even in the squad yesterday! Subbed. 5

Dennis Souza: Kept the defence together in that torrid first half. A leader amongst boys at times. 8

Lewin Nyatanga: Let Collins go for the goal but regained his composure in the second half and subdued Eastwood and Bothroyd more. 7

Stephen Foster: As is of the case with "Fozzie" starts off very nervous and then gets better as the game progresses. Looked lost in the first half but much more in control after the break. 6

Jamal Campbell-Ryce: The only player who looked like getting Barnsley moving in the first half, but Devaney took control in the second half. Subbed. 7

Brian Howard: Still not back to his best but showed glimpses of skill and endeavour. 7

Sam Togwell: Totally lost out to Seyi Olofinjana in the grafting stakes. A step backwards after his previous two outings. Subbed. 6

Martin Devaney: Controlled the game in the second half and apart from the offside goal had Barnsley's best chances. Gave Foley a torrid time. First half. 6 Second half. 8

Istvan Ferenczi: Unlucky to be denied his third goal in as many games. Industrious as ever if lacking that killer touch. 6

Jon Macken: Taking on the role of target-man superbly and has a great first touch. As soon as that first goal comes he should blossom. 7


Rohan Ricketts (for Campbell-Ryce 77) Jeered by his former fans, a couple of threatening runs came to nothing. 6

Grant McCann (for Togwell 80) Came on to add a more attacking thrust to the midfield. With 10 minutes left it didn't really work. 6

Kayode Odejayi (for Werling 84) Came on to make it three up front and was desperately close to the equaliser at the death when Hennessey's clearance rebounded against him but over the bar. 7

Unused Substitutes:

Paul Reid, Miguel Mostto


Hennessey, D. Ward, Collins, Olofinjana, Craddock, Kightly (Potter 74), Henry, Bothroyd (Keogh 68), S. Ward, Eastwood, Foley.
Subs: Little, Jarvis, Stack.

BarnsleyBoy's Man of the Match: Devaney came to life in the second half but if it wasn't for Muller the game would have been dead and buried.

Impressed by Wolves's: Seyi Olofinjana: Ran the midfield for Wolves and proved Sam Togwell has a lot to learn.

Ref Watch: Graham Laws: Very good game. Just the one booking and kept the game ticking. 8

Other Reports:

Barnsley lie in 8th place in the Coca Cola Championship with 23 points from 16 games. We are 2 points off the Play-Offs, 5 points off the Automatic Promotion Places, 13 points off First Place and 8 points above the Relegation Zone.

Next Up:

At Oakwell:

Coca-Cola Championship Matchday Seventeen: Barnsley v Watford Saturday 24th November 2007 Kick-Off: 3pm

Tickets for the big game are priced at:

East Stand and West Stand Upper Tiers
Adults £22.00
OAP/Juvenile £13.00
Juveniles (U11) £7.00

Barnsley Chronicle Family Area
Adults £22.00
OAP £13.00
Juvenile £13.00
Juveniles (U11) £7.00

East Stand Lower and West Stand Lower
Adults £21.00
OAP/Juveniles £12.00
Juveniles (U11) £6.00

Enterprise PLC Stand (Pontefract Road End)
Adults £20.00
OAP/Juveniles £12.00
Juveniles (U11) £6.00

All Disabled Areas £20.00

To book tickets for forthcoming matches simply phone the Oakwell Box Office on 0871 2266777. Alternatively call at the Box Office in person; contact the Box Office by fax on 01226 211444 or e-mail Please note that Juvenile U11 tickets must be purchased in advance from the Oakwell Box Office and this price will not be on sale on the turnstiles under any circumstances.

On The Road:

Coca-Cola Championship Matchday Eighteen: Sheffield Wednesday v Barnsley Tuesday 27th November 2007 Kick-Off: 7:45pm


Adults: £21

Senior Citizens: £12

Juveniles (U16) £12

Official Coaches will be travelling to Hillsborough

Price: £8

Departure Time: 5:30pm on the day of the game.

Man of the Match: Heinz Muller